Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Temple Walls

When we heard the revelation
We were eager to begin
To build a temple for our God,
A place to worship in.

I was called to cut through stone,
Giving all my strength and sweat.
We sacrificed our greatest goods
Although we were in debt.

But as the walls began to form
And I saw the temple's height,
I thought there must be some mistake
Because to me it wasn't right.

Now, don't think I'm complaining,
I just don't understand
Why, if we're in poverty,
Must the temple be so grand?

I never questioned this aloud,
But kept working in the heat
And built those massive temple walls
'Til the building was complete.

I went to the dedication
Within those walls so high
And as I looked up at the ceiling
Again I wondered why.

Then suddenly I felt a wind
That set me on my feet.
And as I sang the hymns of Zion
I heard a sound so sweet.

The angels joined us in our praise!
Though I didn't see a thing,
I could feel them all around me
Singing to our King!

Then instantly I knew the answer
Why there was so much space.
We needed room for all the angels
To join us in this place.

It was only then I realized
How much this place was worth.
This was truly God's own House,
A heaven here on earth.

When I now think of those walls
Which I once thought so absurd
I always think of their true purpose
And the angels that I heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment