Sunday, February 8, 2009

Paul

From the time when I was young
A desire burned within
To always be obedient
And never, ever sin.

Eagerly I drank the truth
Wherever it was found
Until I thought that I was better
Than everyone around.

I'm sad to say I let my pride
Raise me higher than the rest.
I rashly judged and scorned good men
Since I thought I was best.

A fool I was to think these things!
For while doing these sad acts,
He whom I thought I was serving
Did stop me in my tracks.

Oh, what guilt! The bitter shame
I felt in that dark hour!
But Jesus showed His love for me
And healed me with His power.

I swore that day to serve my Lord.
To Him my life I'd give.
But this time I would teach His way
And live as He would live.

But still I had my weakness:
In my flesh there was a spine.
This thorn hurt and made me stumble.
I wished it wasn't mine.

I implored the Lord three times
To take this thorn away.
But then I heard the Spirit whisper
This weakness had to stay.

To keep me from becoming prideful,
Which ruined me before,
This weakness had been given me
To humble me some more.

It broke my heart to hear this news.
I want to do what's right!
Then the Lord wrapped me in comfort,
Embracing me in light.

"Your weakness can become a strength
By virtue of my grace.
Through me you can overcome it
And again behold my face."

His grace! His loving grace
That saved me in the past!
Although all else should pass away
His mercy still would last!

This revelation brought me hope
And I ceased to make complaints.
Inspired by the Savior's love,
I wrote to all the saints.

I told them that they must have faith
Or their works would come to nought.
I emphasized the Savior's grace
To everyone I taught.

And so I finished out my course
Through the power of God's Son.
And now I go to meet my Lord.
I fought the fight and won.

No comments:

Post a Comment