Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Smiling Mask

Though I hurt inside,
Feeling like I died,
I refuse to ever show it.
I just live my life
As if everything's ok.
When I wake at five
I don't feel alive
But no one would ever know it.
And all I hope for
Is to make it through the day.

I'm wearing a mask that shows a smile.
I wear a mask, but it isn't real.
I wear a mask, but all the while
I'm just hiding how I feel.

I once knew my course,
Now I feel remorse
For the life I have forsaken.
I am not a hero.
I'm a traitor to my youth.
Could I learn again
From my childhood friends?
I need to reawaken!
But until I do so
I know I have to face the truth

I'm wearing a mask; the smile's deceiving
The mask that I wear is an empty shell.
Behind the mask I am bereaving
And there's nothing more to tell.
I take off this mask so I'll see clearer
I rip off the mask and my face is numb.
I turn and I stare into a mirror
And I see what I've become.

Deep down inside my heart is yearning!
Deep down inside I see the strife!
Deep down inside I miss the burning!
How I long to hold the flame of life!

But something inside me starts stirring,
As I stare into my soul,
And I long for the ones who once taught me,
The ones who made me whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment