Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Name Tag

While looking for a matching sock
In the bottom of my drawer,
I came across my old name tag,
Then sat down on the floor.

I traced the letters of each word
With my finger as I thought
Of that first day I put it on.
What joy that day had brought!

I was so eager to go forth
And to preach the Gospel true.
There was no door I would not knock,
And nothing I'd not do.

Each morning when I put it on
I would smile at its shine.
My name tag was a symbol of
The calling that was mine.

When I came home so many nights,
I took off my tag, content.
I felt such joy as I had watched
The ones I taught repent.

But there were days I came back home
And took off that tag and sighed.
When people that I learned to love
Gave up, I often cried.

That name tag sat close to my heart
As I watched a change take hold,
Not only in the ones I taught,
But also in my soul.

I wore it to each baptism
And I wore it on each street.
I wore it as I served the Lord
And all whom I did meet.

I never can forget the day
When I took it off for good.
I sobbed as I was being released
More than I thought I would.

These memories came back to me
Of the tag I used to wear.
Once more I held it to my heart,
Then placed it back with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment