Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Summertime Youth

I wake in the morning to see the sunlight
Greeting me warmly on my still sleepy face.
I yawn and think of the things I'll do today.
Then I jump out of bed and race
To get dressed. There's so much to do!
Before I go outside my mom wants to read
The scriptures with us and sing some songs.
Then I'm out! The first thing that I need
To do is find the genie's magic lamp,
Stolen and hidden by thieves long ago.
My imagination takes me to Neverland,
Then Narnia, meanwhile defeating every foe.
After lunch my friend across the street
Comes to play. We try to reach the sky
While swinging on her swingset.
Then we count to three and jump and fly.
Later we run through the sprinkler.
I feel the cool water prick my warm skin
And stop only to hear the ice cream truck.
Then I run through the sprinkler again.
When my friend goes home I go inside.
"Mom, can I have a popsicle?" "Please?"
She reminds me. I reach into the cold freezer
Then I walk back outside where the bees
Are humming in the bright flowerbeds.
I grab my Legos left on the lawn
And place them in that miniature jungle -
Of course, once the bees are gone.
After dinner I grip the rubber handle
Of a baseball bat, with my dad two yards away.
He never lets me strike out. I run!
Baseball is such a fun game to play!
Later my siblings and I all play tag.
My brother's the best. He always wins.
TV tag, freeze tag, or just Hide 'n' Seek.
I count twenty, then the seeking begins.
We play until twilight brings the stars.
Venus is the first to take its normal place
In the sky. As I gaze at the stars I dream
Of one day being an astronaut in space.
With my dad at home, we read again
From the scriptures. I always choose
To sit where I can read the last verse.
It's a game I rarely lose.
When we get to bed my brother whispers,
"Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."
"Ok!" I take of my shirt. He does the same.
Then across his back my hand soars.
When it's my turn, I feel his hand glide
Across my cool skin. Lying there, it seems
I'm soaring on the cool night's breeze.
I feel content. Just like in my dreams.
As I get back in my bed my mind is filled
With the things I want to do and play.
Ah! Summer! I love being young!
And tomorrow's a brand new day...

No comments:

Post a Comment